Saturday, August 13, 2022

Time Off From Art?

Just like taking time off from my paying, art supporting, full time job, I take time off from making art. A few days or even weeks, occasionally, a few months. It can happen after finishing a piece or several, or a show has concluded it's run, because life is happening or other things are calling me.  Not a sabbatical. Not getting away from it all. Doing other things that feed my heart and soul as much as art does.  Knitting, cooking, gardening, time with friends, travel, reading, watching subtitled foreign TV shows and movies, or just being. Each of these things, and more, feed a different need. Then they lead me back to art. 

Art is never far away. My brain never seems to shut off from art.  Inspiration is everywhere, fueling ideas and visions. A photo of hibiscus, an art exhibit, a conversation with other artists, especially artists who work in other mediums, a walk in the park, time with loved ones, a trip to another place, the familiar and unfamiliar, working in the garden, dancing, anything can turn the brain into an art generator. 

My imagination is in overdrive during my time off. I've tried to go into the studio and work, feeling like I should be taking advantage of all the images in my head. It rarely goes well, my brain isn't ready. What does go well, for me, is getting ready. Often, in the middle of the time off, I'll prep surfaces, deep clean my tools, restock old favorites and discover new colors, mediums, and tools, organizing my studio. These tasks don't take a ton of time and is time well spent. Time that won't exist and my brain won't recognize the need for when it wants to put down the paint.

The time off allows me to return to the studio all in. The need to do other things has abated. When the paints call my name, I can respond enthusiastically and wholeheartedly, letting the work lead me to it's destination. 

I hope you are able to find the time off that works for you and your art, or whatever calls your name.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Vacation time

 This blog is late because of my vacation, but about vacation.... Everyone needs vacation time. To decompress, re-energize, disconnect and r...