Saturday, June 4, 2022

DISSOLUTION, layer by layer

One of my favorite things about Oil and Cold Wax is that it always takes me on a journey, I go where it leads me. The destination usually a surprise. Once in awhile I get the idea I know where we're going before the paint's been mixed. This work was one of those times. 
 
LAYER 1

I had some stencils and masks that I made just for this piece. A hazy vision of circles and arcs and transparency had been calling me for several weeks. My palette of yellows and blues mixed and ready. Starting with a 12 x 12 board coated with oil ground, the first few layers looked and felt promising. This needed to dry for a little while before I could continue.  
LAYER 2
After about 20 minutes, the surface was dried enough to continue adding layers, excavating, masking. Enough for this day, let it dry at least overnight and see what's what.

LAYER 3

When I returned to the piece, layers were added, removed. A happy accident created bubbles. I liked it for an instant, bubbles are happy things, and then not at all. Rotating it in all directions didn't help me see anything good. I remember when I first starting using cold wax, I would watch videos on YouTube. talking to the screen, telling the artist to stop, don't go there. Why did you have to ruin it? Well, that's exactly what I did...ruined it. It doesn't have to stay ruined, keep going.

LAYER 4

Added a line, liked it less. Too clean, boring. contrived. I need to step away from it for at least a few minutes. Coming back to the work, evaluating composition, values, shapes, and trying to see and feel where this is going. Changing direction of a piece in progress isn't as hard as it sounds, at the same time it is hard. I start with small steps, one thing at time. Adding a color, disturbing the work already down, changing a shape, or adding a new value, each can have great impact on it's own. 

FINAL LAYER - DISSOLUTION

This particular piece needed some messing up, some complexity, to be undone. Taking away some things in a very deliberate random manner achieved those things. This piece was pretty quick, only a matter of days. Some evolve over time, getting worked on as I have time or they call my name. There are pieces that have sat around for long time, weeks, months or a year plus in my studio. I leave them where I can see them, just in case inspiration strikes. Or I get a whim to paint over them completely and start over. That's a post for another day.



No comments:

Post a Comment

Vacation time

 This blog is late because of my vacation, but about vacation.... Everyone needs vacation time. To decompress, re-energize, disconnect and r...